In the living room the sofa is the standard for defining the perfect size of the carpet. An unwritten rule says : The length of the couch added with 30 cm right and left, results the length of your carpet.
If you want to extend the carpet in the living room, you have to put your furniture as they should be , as soon as the carpet is placed.
Small room (15-20 square meters)
– Classically, the rectangular carpet has to be placed in front of the sofa. The carpet should be at least as wide as the sofa, but not above 10 cm at each side. The sofa should not be put on the carpet, because the carpet is already small due to the limited size of the room. Stools, occasional tables or similar tools can be placed on it.
Medium-sized room (about 30 square meter)
– In a medium-sized room, there are often more seating possibilities. Taking our example, two sofas and two armchairs. The carpet can be placed in front of the sofa, but not above 20 to 30 cm on each side of the sofa. In the middle there is the occasional table again. The armchairs slightly diagonally, opposite to the sofa on the corners of the carpet. The sofa and the armchairs can just be placed with their front legs on the carpet. In this way the seating place in combination with the carpet creates a harmonious sight.
Large room ( over 40 square meter)
– In a large room with the same furniture as in our medium-sized room, the carpet has to be much bigger. It can have at least, on each side of the sofa, one meter and at least 50 cm behind the seating possibilities. The furniture will be placed , according to the island principle , on the carpet , so that each furniture stays enough around on the carpet. Other shelves and dressers will not be placed on the carpet.
– For a corner sofa, please use the same principle, though with a squared and not a rectangular carpet.
– Round carpets should be used with caution. They are useful for a round coffee table or a Eye-catcher under a corner of the table.